Monday, September 21, 2009

Dil Bole Hadippa - Review

This is a first for me, reviewing a movie from the theatre, 45 minutes into
it. And it's not because I am suddenly fascinated by mobile internet but
because the only other option is to watch the movie, which frankly is not
much of an option.

I came with low hopes and shallow expectations, after all the movie has been
universally panned, but DBH has gone under and below those standards.

The ending and everything else is predictable from act 1 scene 1, that is if
you don't consider the teasers, posters or the title itself. Punjab, mustard
fields, audio collage of ex-Yash Raj strains, cricket, India-Pakistan,
Indian > NRI, thousands of extras in bright costumes, loud characters,
Anupam Kher as the avuncular old man and every other stereotype which was
charming during DDLJ and has lost all sheen over the last decade and half
due to excessive and manic milking.

The plot - Rani Mukherjee is a cricket crazy Punjabi village belle who wants
to play for the local team that plays against the Pakistani local team every
year during Independence Day. India has lost the match 9 years in a row, and
Anupam Kher - the owner of the Indian team - calls over Shahid Kapur, his
son and a smashing cricketer playing in England, to build a team. Veer/Veera
(Rani) is not allowed to be a part of the same because of her gender, so she
goes in the disguise of being a sardar.

We just went into intermission, and as far as the ending goes your guess is
as good as mine, and both, I am sure, are mighty good!

The only difference between us is you will now move to another tab perhaps
with some pity for me, and I will spend the next hour or so watching the
movie as I don't have the review to keep me busy any more.

Before you sympathise with me any further and think of me as the boy who
lost everything, let me tell you that last Friday a friend challenged me to
a TT match, the bet was two movie tickets of my choice or his. I won the
matches and the bet but made a terrible choice of the movie.

Oh yes, the movie had some message about women's equality, having the Indian
heart in the right place and a few others I'm sure. And yes, it had Shahid
Kapur's name before Rani's in the credits in a movie for, of and about Rani
Mukherjee, some respect shwon to the woman.

4/10.


-------------
Sent from my Blackberry Wireless Device

4 comments:

quetzalcoatl said...

why exactly did u watch it?..it was evident from the trailers itself...:D...

Suhel Banerjee said...

@quetzalcoatl - I had already bought the tickets for UP and seen The Ugly Truth, the only other option left to utilise the free tickets was this one:)

Subhadip said...

doesnt the guy in apron cooking something looks like Alan ??

Hans Meier said...

didn't like the movie, but didn't like this review even more